1173 brought more toing and froing at the border when King William
the Lion of Scotland invaded northern England making a dawn
raid on Appleby Castle which immediately surrendered, only to be recaptured a year
later by Henry II. Henry kept the castle until 1179 when he
granted it to Ranulph de Glanville, Sheriff of
Yorkshire. It was either Henry II or Ranulph who heightened the
walls of the keep and replaced the wooden rampart with a stone
Now, with the castle is firmly in English hands, its
ownership bounced between royalty, barony and briefly the
people (the Round Heads).
In 1189 King John gained control of the castle and passed it on
to three generations of the de Vieuxpont barony ending with
Isabella de Vieuxpont who married Rodger Clifford.
generations of the Cliffords owned the castle from the late 14th
century to the mid 17th century, with a bit of a hic-up in
between when it was taken by Edward IV and granted to Richard,
Duke of Gloucester.
and built other Appleby landmarks like the
almshouses on Boroughgate.
In 1651 England was invaded
by a Royalist army headed by Charles II and accordingly
Appleby Castle was occupied by a
Parliamentary force under General Thomas
invasion crisis was short-lived and came to an end when the
Royalists were defeated at the Battle of Worcester (1651). Lady
Anne Clifford was able to reoccupy the castle and continue her
restoration work until her death in 1676.
After Lady Anne the castle
went to the Earls of Thanet who rebuilt the eastern range between
1686 and 1688 using material plundered from the nearby Brough and Brougham
castles. In 1849 the castle passed to Richard Tufton and it
remained with his descendants until 1962 when it was sold with
most of the homes on Boroughgate to private buyers.